NATURE OF WORK
Performs varied and responsible work within SPSA’s accounting department processing accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, transfer station customer service, and auditing functions, including the verification, classification, and timely processing of documents. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Accounting Manager.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
Accounts payable functions:
Enters vendor invoices timely and accurately.
Analyzes and reconciles vendor accounts on a monthly basis.
Researches and resolves problems arising from customer inquiries/vendor statements.
Review vendor invoice entries using the automated system reports.
Generates payment of SPSA vendors according to established schedule and vendor payment methods.
Account receivable functions:
Process credit card payments for credit customers.
Post customer payment with check or credit cards in a timely manner.
Process daily deposits into SPSA bank accounts.
Send monthly bills to customers.
Contact customers to collect on past due account balances.
Accurately processes payroll verifying proper deductions are taken.
Processes pay garnishments in a timely manner.
Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents.
Sort and distribute incoming mail and handle incoming general information phone calls.
Assist in month end closing.
Operates office machines, including calculator, and personal computers.
Maintains courteous and professional relationships with co-workers, other SPSA employees, and external customers.
Performs other duties as needed and/or required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM JOB
Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school, supplemented with two years of college level accounting and three years of experience in accounts payable or accounts receivable and general accounting. Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the job.
1. Classifies, processes, and reports accounts payable data in an accurate and timely manner.
2. Analyzes and reconciles vendor accounts on a regular basis. Researches and resolves problems arising from vendor inquiries.
3. Prepares deposits, verifies, and posts customer payment with check or credit card in an accurate and timely manner.
4. Prepares and processes payroll ensuring data is complete and accurate. Processes pay garnishments in a timely manner.
5. Maintains clear and concise communication and courteous, professional relationships with co-workers, SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, government officials, vendors, and external customers. Exhibits skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
6. Follows SPSA policies and procedures. Maintains any required training and licenses. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND SIGN THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Accounting Specialist
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Classify, report, and post data in various accounting areas.
Ability to read, write, and comprehend mathematical figures and analyze data. Verbal and written communication skills. Ability to use a computer terminal for data entry and on-line inquiry, calculator, PC, telephone, copy, file and light lifting (up to 20 pounds). Ability to work under stress and to meet deadlines.
Verify the accuracy of data entered into automated accounting systems.
Ability to calculate numbers and the analytical ability to verify data. Dexterity to use a computer terminal for data entry and on-line inquiry, calculator, telephone, copy, file and light lifting. Ability to reach, bend and stoop to file.
Makes mathematical calculations and checks various tables and reports.
Ability to calculate numbers and the analytical ability to verify data. Comprehension of mathematical figures and analytical ability to review data. Manual dexterity to use computer terminal adding machine, and basic office equipment.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Prepare miscellaneous reports.
Read, write, comprehends, verbal and written communication skills, mathematical skills, use computer terminal, PC, calculator, and telephone.
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.