NATURE OF WORK
Performs maintenance and repair of a wide variety of heavy trucks, trailers, light trucks, automobiles, heavy construction equipment, and their attached and related components, including the replacement and rebuilding of components and the diagnosis of repair and replacement needs. Work is performed under supervision of the Manager including assistance with the diagnosis and determination of the need for external repair service.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE JOB
Any combination equivalent to high school graduation or trade school completion and two years of experience, including school or apprenticeship-related experience, in diagnosing, repairing, rebuilding and replacing components in one or more of the types of equipment to be assigned or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possess a valid driver’s license with a demonstrable safe driving record. Class A or B Commercial driver's license may be required. As this position may require operating a motor vehicle owned by, leased by or loaned to SPSA; all policies, rules and directives concerning personal driving records, motor vehicle violations and the reporting thereof will be strictly enforced.
Ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
1. Provides timely, effective, and appropriate repair and maintenance of heavy equipment, transfer vehicles and other automotive, construction or related equipment.
2. Ensures complete, accurate, and timely diagnostic testing and analysis as indicated and directed.
3. Ensures appropriate and timely cleaning, maintenance, and repair of work areas, tools, and equipment as assigned.
4. Maintains clear and concise communication, and courteous, professional relationships with SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, government officials, vendors, and external customers. Exhibits skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
5. Follows SPSA policies and procedures. Maintains any required training and licenses. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Equipment Mechanic
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Perform routine service and preventive maintenance to vehicle and tires.
Must have the mental ability and physical dexterity to perform preventive maintenance on automotive, heavy-duty trucks, trailers, construction equipment and tires. While performing tire maintenance, must have the ability to visually detect or replace defective or worn out tires. Manual dexterity required to work with hand tools and power tools.
Perform trouble shooting and repair procedures.
Must have the mental ability to determine repairs needed to bring equipment back to specifications. Must have the physical ability to perform required repairs while standing for prolonged periods. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. throughout the day and move it from one location to another. Must be able to climb a ladder up to 10 feet in height to work on a truck engine.
Shop equipment use and clean up.
Must have the mental and physical ability to select and use the proper repair tools and shop equipment. Must be able to clean and maintain shop area, tools and equipment.
Must possess a valid VA driver’s licensee and have the mental ability and physical dexterity to operate trucks, heavy equipment, and similar construction equipment sufficiently to perform repairs.
Reading and writing skills.
Must have the mental ability to read and comprehend manuals, parts books, service catalogs and bulletins. Must have the basic writing skills to fill out parts requisition sheets and work orders.
Communication with employees and supervisors.
Must have the mental ability to read work assignments and follow directions. Verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relation skills to communicate with others effectively.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Must have the mental and physical ability to perform minor building maintenance and repair.
REMARKS: Requires working in adverse climatic conditions (i.e., dust, odor, hot, cold, rain, snow). Requires wearing appropriate safety gear. Must have the physical ability to perform required repairs while standing, sitting, climbing or laying underneath the work for prolonged periods
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.