NATURE OF WORK
Performs high level administrative support services for the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and SPSA’s Board of Directors. Work involves activities including, but not limited to, executive staff support, composing correspondence and technical reports, complex record keeping, and related duties using computer software. Work requires the use of independent action and judgment while maintaining the highest degree of professionalism and confidentiality. Reports directly to the Executive Director and ensures that all administrative support functions are handled in a professional, confidential and efficient manner.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM JOB
Any combination equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field and five years of administrative support experience at the executive or director level; or any combination of training and/or experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience in public procurement and human resources preferred. Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
1. Effectively administers and manages the administrative support service within the Office of the Executive Director and as directed by the Board of Directors. Effectively oversees the coordination of all committees to serve the internal and external business affairs of the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Performs the duties of Secretary of the Board of Directors in an efficient and professional manner.
2. Maintains SPSA-wide records management program according to the policies and procedures set by the Records Management and Imaging Services Division of the Library of Virginia. Identifies all vital, archival, and permanent records, and ensures that they are properly maintained, protected and accessible for the recording and archiving of current SPSA records, according to the length of time cited in applicable records retention and disposal schedule.
3. Effectively provides administrative support to Human Resources as needed assisting with scheduling interviews, completing reference verifications and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) notices. Maintains applicant tracking, completes monthly service awards and filing. Provides needed assistance with special projects and during Open Enrollment.
4. Maintains clear and concise communication, and courteous, professional relationships with co-workers, other SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, and with external customers. Works effectively as a member of a work team, and supports team efforts in others. Maintains a high degree of customer service skills through open, clear and concise verbal and written communications.
5. Follows SPSA policies and procedures. Maintains any required training and licenses. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND SIGN THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Provides administrative support for the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and SPSA’s Board of Directors. Serves as Secretary of SPSA’s Board of Directorspersonnel.
Mental and physical ability to read, comprehend, transcribe dictation and all Microsoft applications at a proficient rate. Mental and physical ability to take down verbal dictation/minutes of meetings, and transcribe notes using verbal and written communication skills. Manual dexterity required to type and write legibly. Ability to occasionally lift and move 25-30 lbs. files, reach, bend, stoop and sit for long periods of time. Mental ability to use critical thinking skills, exercise of discretion and independent decisions.
Receive and direct telephone calls, messages and visitors to proper staff in a congenial and professional manner.
Mental and physical ability to read, write, comprehend, speak, and pronounce English words clearly and to analyze problems to direct calls and visitors to appropriate staff and/or respond to questions. Good interpersonal skills required. Ability to maintain appropriate and
professional personal appearance.
Develop and prepare reports on a periodic, monthly, quarterly or an annually basis.
Mental and physical ability to collect, research, and survey data and write, perform mathematical calculations, organize material in a logical sequence and prepare technical report documents, graphics, and charts as requested. Possess verbal and written communication skills. Good interpersonal skills required. Ability to work under stress and meet deadlines.
Operate office equipment and prepare manuals, and agendas. Operate multi-line phone system.
Mental ability to read and follow instructions, collate, organize materials in sequence. Manual dexterity required. Lifting, bending, required in use of copier and collating. Requires repetitive arm and hand motions to punch holes and bind documents.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Process Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, gathers the requested information, and provides information as specified by FOIA requirements.
Mental ability to read, write, comprehend, speak, and pronounce English words clearly. Mental capability to respond to requests. Verbal and written communication skills. Good interpersonal relations skills required.
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
Remarks: Requires mental ability to differentiate confidential materials from non-confidential and maintain that confidentiality.
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.