NATURE OF WORK
Operates heavy and complex equipment, such as cranes, yard tractors, bulldozers, compactor/ excavators or wheel loaders in a safe and effective manner.
Work is performed under regular supervision and is carried out in accordance with standardized equipment operation practice and general work instruction. Direction is given through oral and written communications.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE JOB
Any combination equivalent to high school graduation and three years in the operation of heavy construction equipment with at least one year as the primary operator of assigned equipment, plus one year of experience in a supervisory or lead capacity. (The supervisory requirement can
be waived if the candidate has been a Heavy Equipment Operator at SPSA for at least one year and has demonstrated knowledge of SPSA’s policies and procedures.)
Elements for this position may vary with the same job title based on position’s location.
Ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
1. Ensures safe, efficient and timely operation of all assigned equipment. Performs assigned duties in a safe and productive manner. Performs daily preventive maintenance and safety checks in a timely and effective manner. Monitors performance of assigned equipment and provides accurate and timely reports of deficiencies or other needs to supervisor.
2. Knows and follows all spotter rules. Safely directs traffic and keeps wait time to a minimum. Maintains safe distances between vehicles and equipment.
3. Effectively monitors waste stream for hazardous and dangerous materials.
4. Demonstrating effective leadership skills, coaches, develops, motivates, and promotes teamwork among assigned personnel to achieve established objectives. Ensures compliance with SPSA’s policies and procedures. Provides input and assistance to supervisor to help with writing performance appraisals. Effectively assumes duties of work site supervisor in his/her absence.
5. Maintains clear and concise communication, and courteous, professional relationships with SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, government officials, vendors, and external customers. Exhibits skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
6. Follows SPSA policies and procedures. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Heavy Equipment Operator Senior
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Operate various types of heavy construction and/or earth moving equipment.
Mental ability to read, writes, and comprehends general instructions, safety procedures, and reports. Driving skills. Ability to operate machinery in close working conditions requiring good eye/hand coordination. Perform maintenance checks and minor maintenance on equipment. Ability to use both hands and both feet to operate equipment pedals, levers, steering wheels, and buttons. Physical ability to sit and adapt to constant jerking motions from equipment for extensive periods of time (8 or 10 hour shifts, depending on work location). Ability to climb in and out of equipment by using a ladder mounted on the equipment.
Perform minor/major maintenance/upkeep as required.
Manual dexterity to work with hand tools on equipment, surfaces and components. Mental ability to read, writes, and comprehends general instructions and safety procedures.
Act as supervisor in absence of immediate supervisor
Ability to provide direct supervision in the absence of the immediate supervisor, following standardized operation practices and guidelines. Verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to relay information.
Physically able to hold and maneuver water hose discharges of 75 psi and lift up to 80 lbs. with assistance.
Remarks: Requires working in adverse climatic conditions (i.e., dust, odor, hot, cold, rain, snow). Requires wearing appropriate safety gear including safety steel shank boots. Ability to understand oral and written instructions to perform lock-out on equipment being worked on as per SPSA Safety Policy and Programs. Physical and mental capability to work in a confined area for extensive periods. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force at all times and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently. Must be able to climb, crouch, stoop, handle repetitive motion, walk, be focused, aware, and communicate.
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.