NATURE OF WORK
Provides administrative assistance to the Human Resources Department through accurate file maintenance of confidential files and applicant tracking. Assists with recruiting functions and open enrollment.
Work performed under the supervision of the Human Resource Generalist.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
Provides information to the general public regarding SPSA’s vacancies, status of applications and the application process.
Primary administrative function will be maintaining confidential files:
1. Organize, compile, update personnel records and documentation.
2. Prepare, sort and create new employee files.
3. Compile files of previous employees.
4. Scan files to data base and complete back up.
5. Compiles new employee forms and creates packets.
6. Maintain applicant tracking.
Assists with scheduling interviews and contacting references under direct supervision.
Provides back-up and support for the office of Human Resources answering questions and providing information in absence of the Human Resource Generalist.
Performs routine and miscellaneous staff support completing employment verifications and requests for information.
Works on special projects such as open enrollment compiling employee notices and benefit information to distribute to benefit eligible employees.
Ability to follow SPSA policies and procedures and exhibit work behaviors that reflect commitment to SPSA’s Vision, Mission, and Values.
Performs other duties as required and/or requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM JOB
Thorough knowledge of, and skill in the use of office equipment including the use of copiers/scanners personal computers, printers, modems, and/or network type data automation systems.
Thorough knowledge of, and skill in the use of, computer software utilized in word processing, and data management.
Knowledge of privacy policies and record retentions requirements.
Knowledge of modern Human Resources practices, legal requirements, and compliance.
Skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with employees, vendors, customers, government officials, and the general public.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with supervisors, co-workers, vendors, and the general public. Ability to read and interpret documents, statistical data, operating manuals, policies, and procedures.
Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information regarding SPSA's operations and Human Resources matters.
Ability to understand and follow complex written and oral instructions.
Organized, accurate, thorough and able to self-access work quality.
Ability to compose routine letters and memoranda with only general instructions.
High School graduate. Associate’s degree in business preferred. Two years of Human Resources support or office assistant experience required.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job.
1. Provides efficient administrative support services for the Human Resources Department through accurate file maintenance of records and applicant tracking. Assists with recruitment, scheduling candidates for interviews and contacting references. Maintains confidentiality. Eagerly takes on other projects as needed. Able to prioritize tasks well.
2. Maintains clear and concise communication, and courteous, professional relationships with co-workers, other SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, vendors, and external customers. Exhibits skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels. Receives and directs phone calls, messages, and visitors in a pleasant and helpful manner.
3. Follows SPSA administrative policies, procedures, Standards of Conduct, and safety procedures and regulations. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND SIGN THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Accounting Specialist
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Accurate file maintenance of confidential files. Scans files to electronic files and saves to backup disc. Operate office copier and prepare new hire forms and packets.
Mental and physical ability to read, write, type, comprehend, identify errors, and make corrections. Mental ability to read and follow oral or written instructions, collage, organize materials in sequence, and alphabetical order. Manual & physical dexterity required for lifting, bending, numerical sort, stooping and reaching required to file, use of copier, scanning and collating. Ability to lift 25-30 filing boxes occasionally.
Key data into an automated HRIS system. Schedule interviews and contact references.
Mental and physical ability to read and comprehend written instructions. Place phone calls, ask questions and dictate answers received.
Compose and mail FMLA notifications. Maintain inventory supply.
Mental and physical ability to read, write, comprehend, speak, and pronounce English words clearly and to analyze problems to direct calls and visitors to appropriate staff and/or respond to questions. Good interpersonal skills required. Ability to maintain appropriate and professional personal appearance.
Remarks: Requires mental ability to differentiate confidential materials from non-confidential and maintain that confidentiality.
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.