NATURE OF WORK
This position is a professional level position in the administration of SPSA's safety program. Responsibilities of this position include ensuring the health and safety of employees and visitors while on SPSA property by training, enforcing and advising line management on safety policies, procedures, and practices. Work is performed under general supervision of the Executive Director.
CRITICAL ELEMENTS OF PERFORMANCE
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM JOB
Any combination or equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in safety administration, safety engineering, or related field and at least two years of experience in hazardous waste and/or safety administration. Certifications as a Safety Administrator, Safety Professional and/or Occupational Hearing Conservationist is preferred. Must possess a valid driver’s license with a demonstrable safe driving record. As this position will require operating a motor vehicle owned by, leased by or loaned to SPSA; ALL policies, rules and directives concerning personal driving records, motor vehicle violations and the reporting thereof will be strictly enforced. Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the job.
1. Effectively insures compliance with governmental mandated regulations and develops and ensures consistent enforcement of safety policies, procedures, rules, and regulations. Effectively assists in ensuring minimum liability exposure and minimum hazardous operating conditions in all work areas.
2. Effectively assesses employee safety training needs, identifies resources including the development of specific training programs to meet the identified needs. Conducts safety training and education programs.
3. Conducts thorough safety inspections of facilities, equipment, employee operations, and environmental conditions in a timely, safe, and efficient manner.
4. Thoroughly investigates worker's compensation accidents for cause and recommends preventive solutions to the Executive Director in an accurate and timely manner.
5. Prepares written reports and statistical analysis in an accurate and timely fashion.
6. Follows SPSA administrative policies, procedures, Standards of Conduct, and safety procedures and regulations. Demonstrates SPSA’s mission statement and shared values in daily actions, service, appearance, and attitude. Maintains any required training and licenses. Represents the department in a manner which demonstrates pride, competence, integrity and professionalism.
7. Maintains clear and concise communication, and courteous, professional relationships with co-workers, other SPSA employees at all levels of the hierarchy, externa customers government officials, and vendors, Exhibits skill in interpersonal relations and the exercise of good judgment and discretion in order to deal effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND SIGN THIS FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS LIST
JOB TITLE: Safety Administrator
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Enforce SPSA safety rules, policies, and OSHA laws.
Mental ability to read, comprehend and apply SPSA and OSHA safety policies to prevent accidents. Ability to write clear and concise reports. Able to climb in and out of small spaces, reach, bend, stoop. Physical ability to walk throughout SPSA facilities, climb steps and ladders of various heights. Stand or sit for long periods of time.
Drive to various sites for safety inspections.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and have the mental and physical ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.
Conduct accident investigations as needed.
Mental ability to read, write, analyze and compute basic math calculations, measure distance, interpersonal relations skills.
Conduct training sessions, Safety Committee and safety meetings.
Mental ability to read, write, analyze and interpret data then present to employees in a clear manner.
Monitor and sample atmospheric conditions in the work place.
Mental and physical ability to gather analyze and interpret data from various meters. Ability to perform numerical calculations.
Enter and retrieve information into and from the computer.
Mental ability to read and comprehend written computer instructions.
Maintain accident and OSHA logs and other required data
Must possess reading comprehension and verbal and written communication skills.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL & EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
% OF TIME
Complete special projects as assigned.
Ability to receive and comprehend direction and perform miscellaneous tasks with a specific time frame.
Develop safety and work procedures.
Mental ability to read, write, analyze and develop procedures from observing work processes.
Remarks: Requires working in adverse climatic conditions (i.e., dust, odor, hot, cold, rain, snow). Requires wearing appropriate safety gear. Ability to understand oral and written instructions to perform lockout on equipment being worked on as per SPSA safety manual. Ability to wear dust mask or respirator when working in areas with known hazardous material exposure.
*Sufficient vision and hearing required to perform the essential functions of the job listed above*
We encourage applicants to use our online employment application process, however we take all candidate submissions seriously. For those who prefer to apply by submitting a paper ADA form, employment applications, resume and/or cover letters, we request that you physically come to our Chesapeake, VA administration office at 723 Woodlake Drive to obtain our required documents in person.